P.R Alcock are an exceptional construction company with over 9 decades of experience serving Banbury, Oxfordshire and surrounding counties.
Built with 4 generations of the Alcock family the company has one of the most established foundations of construction knowledge in the local area.
Specialising in traditional construction and renovation projects we pride ourselves in providing some of the highest quality workmanship in the area. We have also honed our skills to provide today’s modern construction methods in line with ever changing building regulations.
Our premises moved around the town in the early years from the Warwick Road, to North Bar Place and to our long term home since 1936 in Castle Street.
The company was formed by Percy Reginald Alcock who was born in 1886, the son of a village carrier from Epwell.
He served his apprenticeship as a carpenter with “Booths”, who were the main Banbury builder’s of the time . This was then followed by 5 years with “Franklins”, the Builders of Deddington who mainly carried out church restoration work. Returning to Banbury after this time he took a position with a company called “Samuelsons”, making timber moulds and parts for agricultural implements.
On the outbreak of the 1st World War he was sent to Coventry by bike to use his professional skills within the Aircraft Works, making timber framed aircraft and wooden propellers.
After the war Percy was employed as a carpenter with “Henry Boot” who were and still are a nationally recognised building company from Sheffield. He rose quickly through the company becoming a “Foreman” and then “Site Agent”, working on new council houses in Horley, Wroxton and North Newington. On completion of the contract he was laid off by Henry Boot and then re-employed as a sub-contractor providing services to build new private homes on the Bloxham Road.
In 1922 “Henry Boot” vacated their builders yard in Warwick Road, P.R. Alcock went in to partnership with a stonemason he had worked with to start the first Alcock named company called Alcock & Cronk. The company enjoyed many successful years trading until Mr Cronk suffered injuries from a motorcycle accident and had to take early retirement. From 1927 to this present day the company has traded under the name of P.R. Alcock & Sons. Percy Reginald continued to run the company up until his death in 1958, the company continued trading under the direction of his son Harold until his death in 1980. The company was then run by his sons John and Michael, and today by their respective sons,Chris and David. Over the years the company has diversified many times and now mainly carries out high quality restoration and joinery works on period houses and churches, often under the direction of the National Trust and English Heritage.